FallingForYA

Falling For YA

Temptation (Harlequin Teen) - Karen Ann Hopkins When I was in middle school I briefly became obsessed with Amish things. Ok, not all Amish things just quilt’s. My parents took me to this traveling Amish sale and I begged them to buy me a quilt. You could see the hand stitching and I loved the way the fabric felt under my hands, I was instantly smitten. The quilts were expensive though so I had to settle on getting a hand made bracelet. I still have that bracelet and I still really want a quilt. I think this brief Amish obsession may be why I instantly liked the premise of Temptation. A city girl moves to the country after her Mother passes away and instantly falls in love with a boy. The problem is the boy she falls for is Amish.

One of the first things I really liked about Temptation was that it is told in alternating perspectives between Rose and Noah. I think this is why I was so quick to root for them as a couple. The alternating perspective lets you see how each character thinks and there is no second guessing about how much they care about one another. I must say though, I enjoyed reading from Noah’s perspective a little more though.

I think I enjoyed Noah’s perspective more because the Amish culture was completely new to me. It was interesting to learn more about the daily activities of Noah’s family and his community. I am looking forward to reading the sequel, Belonging, because I think it will focus even more on the culture and customs of Amish society.

That brings us to Rose. While Noah gave us the Amish perspective Rose was everything modern and I liked her spunky attitude and occasional gripes about how the Amish culture has skipped over feminism completely. The Amish women are treated very differently then woman are treated in English society. The once problem I did have with Rose is that while she mentions feminism quite a bit she never acts like a feminist. Rose takes on the role of a submissive women in not only her relationship with Noah but the relationship she has with her brother, Sam, and her Father as well. I wanted Rose to stand up and demand to be recognized as an equal but that point never really comes.

Overall, I enjoyed Temptation. It was fun to learn about a culture completely different that is rooted in traditional ideals and see it collide with modern society. I also really enjoyed the relationship between Rose and Noah, their chemistry is undeniable and I am looking forward to reading Belonging to see if these two can beat the odds and find a way to make their relationship work.