FallingForYA

Falling For YA

Truly, Madly, Deadly - Hannah Jayne I knew from the instant I read the synopsis that this book was going to be creepy. What I didn’t expect was the psychological thrill ride the novel would take me on! From start to finish I was intrigued, concerned, and worried for Sawyer as her “admirer” continually tried to “help” her.

Sawyer was an easy heroine to connect with. She has been going through a lot of changes in her personal and school life. She is trying to find herself in the wake of her abusive boyfriends death, and isn’t sure how to reconcile the abuse with the good parts of their relationship. The fact that Sawyer was constantly portrayed as the underdog, and the bullied made her likable despite her other character flaws.

One of my favorite things about this novel is the inclusion of the police. Too often heroines choose to not involve law enforcement or discount the police before they’ve even contacted them. This always pisses me off to no end. I liked that as Sawyer’s admirer started to really scare her, she turned to the police rather then a rag-tag group of friends or something equally silly. It made the story more realistic because going to the police is something I would have done.

The one thing in the story that rubbed me the wrong in Truly, Madly, Deadly, was that Sawyer ends up being asked out by two different guys and actually carrying on a sort of relationship with one of them. While this is typical high school behavior it felt off to me. It was just too soon after her ex’s death for her to even consider moving on. No matter the state of your relationship, losing someone who has had that kind of effect on your life leaves a mark and I never got the sense that Sawyer really dealt with her unresolved feelings for her ex before moving on.

Aside from the romance aspect I really enjoyed everything else about the story. The mystery kept me up reading late and gave me goosebumps. I thought I had everything figured out fairly early on and was pleasantly surprised when the author took the story in a different direction.

Overall, Truly, Madly, Deadly was an awesome thriller. This novel reminded me that YA does not have nearly enough mystery and thriller books and that I had sorely missed this genre. I look forward to reading other works by this author!