FallingForYA

Falling For YA

The Fault in Our Stars - John Green,  Kate Rudd Where to start…I feel like every gush worthy thing about The Fault in Our Stars has already been said. I think I’ve shown up late to the party and have nothing worthwhile to add to the conversation. The problem is, this novel affected me in such a way that I still want to share how I feel! Even if there isn’t an original idea in the bunch I want everyone to know I loved this story.

Hazel has cancer, she has had cancer for most of her life and despite a miracle medication she doesn’t have any illusions that she is anything but terminal. I mean, her favorite book is An Imperial Affliction and features another teen girl with cancer. It isn’t until Hazel meets Augustus Waters that her life changes.

Augustus shifts Hazel’s entire outlook on life, love, and what it means to be dying. I thought Augustus was absolutely grand. He is charismatic, positive, and he genuinely loves Hazel. He was just so hopeful throughout the entire story, he is the type of person more people should strive to be. Yeah, at times he had his faults but I can’t think of a better male lead in recent memory. Augustus truly made the story for me. Hazel was the body of the story but Augustus was the heart and soul.

The Fault in Our Stars is in the unique position of being the first audiobook I’ve actually enjoyed. I have tried getting in to audiobook’s before and I usually lose interest or feel disconnected from the story which results in bad ratings. With The Fault in Our Stars I was eager to keep listening and was actually looking for excuses to drive places so I could get a few more minutes in. The narrator was wonderful and incredibly easy to listen to. The voices she did for Hazel and Augustus were truly superb and I will definitely try and find something narrated by her again.

Overall, I probably haven’t added anything substantial to the discourse on The Fault in Our Stars with my review but I’m glad to have shared my opinion about this wonderful novel about love, loss, dying, and living.