FallingForYA

Falling For YA

Something Strange and Deadly - Susan Dennard I traded for this book on YA Book Exchange and then the novel proceeded to sit on my shelf for a while. When I heard Susan Dennard was coming to Vermillion (BTW no on ever comes to Vermillion, SD so this was really exciting!) I started reading Something Strange and Deadly and was upset at myself for not reading it sooner!

Something Strange and Deadly follows Eleanor Fitt as she deals with her families financial troubles, her brother failing to return home, spirit hunters, and the rising dead! Eleanor was a character that was easy to root for, so much was going on in her life yet she didn’t let it get her down. Quite the opposite actually she was very inquisitive and willing to do anything to help those she cares about.

I really liked Daniel, Eleanor’s love interest, he was sharp and witty and I liked all of the devices he put together for the spirit hunters. Actually the spirit hunters were my favorite part of the novel. They were just the right amount of science and supernatural.

There have only been 2 zombie novels I have actually enjoyed, The Dead Tossed Waves by Carrie Ryan and The Scourge by AG Henley so I was worried when I began this novel. I can now add Something Strange and Deadly to that list. I enjoyed the way Dennard handled the zombies, they were more reanimated corpses and necromancer type dead rather then scary zombies walking the earth type dead. Their inclusion in the story seemed oddly natural and helped Eleanor’s character to develop.

Overall, Something Strange and Deadly was a very fun read and I am not eagerly awaiting the sequel A Darkness Strange and Lovely which comes out in a couple months!