FallingForYA

Falling For YA

Clockwork Princess - Cassandra Clare This book gave me all the feels. I am not joking when I say that I cried three separate times during the course of reading this, and they weren’t always sad tears. They were happy tears. I was crying because Cassandra Clare ended the series in such a way that while my heart was breaking I was smiling, I wouldn’t have had it end any other way.

I have decided that in this review I will give absolutely nothing away so I will just tell you things you already know are going to happen, that do in fact happen. There is a showdown with Mortmain and his clockwork creatures, we find out what exactly Tessa is, Magnus makes appearances in all his Warlock glory, and Clare redefines the love triangle with how much she makes me love both Jem and Will.

Let’s talk a little bit about this love triangle. As you might remember from my Clockwork Prince review I am pretty much a die hard Team Jem kind of girl! I think that is why I went in to reading Clockwork Princess with so much worry and trepidation. Jem is sick and we have all known since the first book that Jem getting a happy ending seemed unlikely. I was afraid Clare was going to cop out and just have Tessa pick Will and leave Jem hanging. I should have known that this was wrong, the author that brought me my favorite love triangle of all time wouldn’t do something like that, and thankfully she doesn’t. Everyone gets their own ending and while it might not suit everyone’s fancy it is honestly the only way I could ever imagine the series ending.

What surprised me most about Clockwork Princess was actually how Jem and Will’s parabatai relationship is explained and even expanded. I knew they were close I guess I just never realized how close. It was actually these parts of the story that broke my heart the most. It was so refreshing to see how much one person could love another in a purely platonic sense. Jem and Will are more then just a friends, more then just brothers, they are parabatai and I now feel like I truly understand what that means. It wasn’t the love triangle that made me cry happy tears, it was Jem and Will and the love they have for each other that made me cry.

Overall, because I don’t want to give anything away it almost feels like I can’t say anything at all. You will just have to suffice to know that the Epilogue made all my tears worthwhile, and made me smile long after I had finished the novel. Cassandra Clare may actually have written the best Epilogue and ending to a series I have ever read. I was so unsure going in to this book, I was afraid that everything would fall apart and no one would get their happy ending. This book, while it takes you through and emotional roller coaster, is eventually happy and it left me feeling hopeful.

**I am more then happy to discuss spoilers in the comments so if you are worried about spoilers please refrain from reading the comments!