FallingForYA

Falling For YA

Shatter Me - Tahereh Mafi Juliette has been in solitary confinement for 264 days in a mental institution. On day 264 she gets a roommate. A roommate from her past, but does he even remember who she is? And what is he doing here in the first place? Thus starts Shatter Me and I must say I was gripped from the very first page!

What stood out the most about Tahereh Mafi’s debut novel is just how well written it is. At times it felt like I was reading poetry, the prose is just lovely and I truly enjoyed the analogies Juliette used. The emotion the writing evoked was immediate and at times heart wrenching. I liked that Mafi never suffered from telling not showing. Every detail was described in depth and it gave me more of a connection to Juliette then I otherwise would have had.

Unfortunately, I was not a huge fan of the world building. Despite being beautifully written some things in this dystopian society just didn’t make sense. For example, it is impossible to find food and all of the animals are dying (there are apparently no birds) yet during a raid someone left a bag of groceries in their car, with bananas! I assume if food was impossible to find no one would be leaving it behind no matter the danger. Also how did they get bananas?! We have to ship those to the states now which is not an easy process. If the world is falling apart and there is no food available, I highly doubt they will still be shipping banana’s to stores. It was little details like this that bothered me in regards to the world building.

I also loved all of the characters in Shatter Me. Juliette was a great lead, despite having really never been touched in her life she still cares for those around her and wants to be accepted. There is no hate or thirsting need to punish those that treated her badly, it made her a easy character to root for. I also liked Adam, the male lead, the romance between him and Juliette was hot! I loved their chemistry although at times I was like, ok guys, we need a little less kissing a little more getting out of danger. And then there was Warner *sigh* I do not like him as a love interest for Juliette but I do like him as a character. He was controlling, a total bad boy with a chip on his shoulder, and sort of evil. For those of you who read my reviews regularly you know this is pretty much my type to a T, so it is no wonder that he became my favorite character.

Overall, Shatter Me was a solid 5 stars right up until the end. I did not like how everything was conveniently solved and Juliette was safe and sound (also really bananas?!). I mean there are still issues to be resolved in the next few books but I didn’t like the perfect package of an ending Mafi leaves us with. I wanted something more then what I got and so I had to rate it 4 rather then 5 stars.