FallingForYA

Falling For YA

Unspoken - Sarah Rees Brennan Thank you Random House, Netgalley, and Sarah Rees Brennan for allowing me to read an advanced readers copy of Unspoken

My Tweet to Sarah Rees Brennan upon finishing Unspoken:

Its 2am on the night before a final and @sarahreesbrennan just broke my heart with the ending of Unspoken!

That Tweet pretty much sums up just how much I loved Unspoken. In the midst of my 1L Law school finals I still found time every night before bed to read this book and I probably stayed up entirely too late reading, but I don't regret even a second of it.

Unspoken centers around Kami Glass a girl who lives in the quaint town of Sorry-In-The-Vale and talks to a boy in her head. Her life is relatively normal until the Lynburn family returns to Sorry-In-The-Vale and Jared and Ash along with them. Then everything for Kami kind of turns topsy-turvey and she is forced into a world of magic and mystery.

The setting of Sorry-In-The-Vale was the perfect gothic town complete with secrets. I really enjoyed the creepy English town vibe. Sorry-In-The-Vale reminded me a lot of the town in the movie "Hot Fuzz" (one of my favorite movies BTW). Everyone in the town seemed to be in on the Lynburn secret but Kami and it was so fun to riddle it out with her.

The characters in Unspoken were all so likable and I found myself loving each and every one of them! Kami was an excellent narrator easily relatable and so daring, she reminded me a good deal of Mae from Sarah Rees Brennan's The Demon's Lexicon series. Kami is strong, independent, and she is a journalist at heart so she is constantly seeking answers and the next big story. It made for a quick paced narration that had me entranced from the first sentence and never let me go.

The Lynburn boys, Ash and Jared, were equal parts dangerous and drop dead sexy. Ash is a classic Lynburn through and through. He knows what he his and what he means to the town (cryptic enough?). He also has the face of a total hottie good-boy if that suits your fancy. Jared is a bad boy who lived in San Francisco, where his Dad died and his Mom was never really there. I would say he is your typical motorcycle black leather jacket type with a twist of course! I actually came to really like Jared he was vulnerable (when he wanted to be), confused, and loyal. That was what made the ending so heartbreaking for me! I won't give anything away, because I hate when reviewers do that, but take my word for it when I say the cliffhanger Brennan leaves you on will leave you either screaming or crying. For me it was a little of both.

It wasn't just the main characters I liked either, all of the supporting characters shined and had their own distinct personalities. I absolutely loved Kami's best friend and her brother Rusty. Both of them were so cute! I loved that they were so alike, and were constantly falling asleep places. It made them even quirkier then some of the other characters and that is saying something!

In sum, I freaking loved this book! I may be a bit biased though as I am pretty sure I have an author crush on Sarah Rees Brennan. I loved her Demon's Lexicon series, and Team Human...it really was only natural for me to fall head over heels for Unspoken and the Lynburn boys. The only bad thing I have to say about this book is that the wait for book 2 is entirely too long. Especially considering I am writing this review in May, the release date isn't until September, and there is no title or release date for book 2 as of yet. You've been warned, instant love will ensue from reading this book.