FallingForYA

Falling For YA

The Iron Knight - Julie Kagawa I think this is the best book Julie Kagawa has written to date. I actually wish that the entire series had been written from Ash’s perspective, he was an interesting and more “grown up” narrator then Meghan. It was also great to finally see what he is thinking, Ash is always so stoic and icy that I have on and off doubted his feelings for Meghan. Thankfully, The Iron Knight laid all those fears to rest.

The Iron Knight begins with Ash and Puck on a quest to find a way for Ash to live in the Iron Realm with Meghan. Ash has come to the conclusion that the only way for him to be with Meghan is to become human. To do this Ash must travel to the End of the World and beyond. I’m an absolute sucker for epic quests, and The Iron Knight is one big quest where everyone involved must sacrifice what they care about in order for Ash to succeed.

On this quest we get a different cast from those we have seen in previous novels instead of the iron fey joining in the journey there are more traditional characters from myth including the famous Puck, the big bad Wolf, Grimalkin, and Ariella! (I know right?! I also thought she was dead). Needless to say the addition of Ariella really mixes up the story and I found myself going back and forth in my head just as Ash did. Ash can see the easy life he could build with Ariella since they are both winter fey, but he also grapples with his feelings for Meghan and the promise he made to her as she forced him out of the Iron Realm.

At first I didn’t really like this new love triangle, or maybe it is a square? I guess we can toss Puck in there to because he still has feelings for Meghan. I didn’t like the idea of Ash betraying Meghan after all they had been through, and I didn’t like all the history between Ash and Ariella. But the history between the two made the story all the more real. When you meet someone in real life they are going to have baggage and you have to sift the all of that to know if they are right for you or not. Ash does his sifting and I won’t give any spoilers but the book was dedicated to Team Ash, just saying!

In sum, I loved the Iron Knight it really is Kagawa’s best work and finishing this novel has me even more excited to read The Lost Prince which chronicles Meghan’s brother Ethan as he enters the world of fey.