FallingForYA

Falling For YA

Half-Blood - Jennifer L. Armentrout Ok, so I need to point out the fact that this book in the beginning is nearly identical to Vampire Academy by Richelle Mead and that really detracted from the story. I wanted to fall in love with all the characters but it just felt like I was comparing and contrasting the two novels. I mean Alex is Rose, Aiden is Dimitri, Deacon is Adrian, and Caleb is Mason, and apparently Seth is Lissa? I mean Alex and Seth are mentally connected! If I keep thinking about the similarities it is just going to irk me so I am going to let it go and review this book for what it is.

Anyway the storyline centers around Rose, err I mean Alex after she returns to the Covenant (which I kept reading as Convent lol), a kind of Boarding School for Half and Pure blood Hematoi or gods I guess? I kind of glazed over the information dumps about the society because this was also identical to Vampire Academy. When Alex arrives at the school she is 3 years behind all of her peers and in order to not be turned into a slave for the Pure's she begins training with Aiden a sentinel who is stationed at the school, I assume, to look after his hottie drunken brother.

The relationship between Alex and Aiden is actually something I enjoyed. I really like mentor/teacher student relationships. There is something exciting about forbidden romance and the romance between Alex and Aiden is not only forbidden because he is her teacher but also because Aiden is a Pure *gasp*!

I also really liked Armentrout’s writing during the “steamy” scenes and the interactions between Alex and Aiden they were both sweet and sexy which can be really hard to get just right. In general I actually liked Armentrout’s writing she gave great voice to her characters and her word choice sounded like something an actual teenager would say, nothing felt forced.

Overall, I can sit here and pretend I didn’t enjoy Half-Blood but that would be a lie. I did enjoy Half-Blood and I think that is partially due to how much I loved Vampire Academy and how much I missed reading those books but it was also partly due to Armentrout’s writing ability. In general I think I will pick up the sequel Pure but I will probably wait for it to go on ebook sale or something.