FallingForYA

Falling For YA

The Immortal Rules - Julie Kagawa I began reading The Immortal Rules with some very high expectations. I really enjoyed Julie Kagawa’s Iron Fey series and with all the vampire novels in the YA genre a vampire book has to be really special to impress me. I was pleasantly surprised with The Immortal Rules and can see why its film rights have already been optioned!

The Immortal Rules begins approximately 60 years after a plague has decimated the human race and created rabids a cross between vampires, humans, and zombies. The creatures reminded me a lot of the ones in I Am Legend. Actually, The Immortal Rules for me was a cross between the movies I Am Legend and Underworld, which is a good thing because those are two of my favorite movies! The story follows Allison Sekemoto through her life on the fringe of New Covington a Vampire city and chronicles her transition as she becomes a vampire herself.

I loved Julie Kagwa’s ability to create characters that are so relatable and endearing and so different from her other works. So often authors use a similar protagonist in many of their novels, Allison though was completely different from Meghan Chase in every way and I admire Kagawa’s versatility as an author. Allison was a really great female lead, strong, independent and exactly they type of girl I would expect to become a survivor in a post-apocalyptic world. I really felt for Allison’s loneliness and her sense of betrayal as the novel progressed and the end was something I both saw coming and broke my heart at the same time.

The supporting characters in The Immortal Rules were also really great. I loved the entire Religious group that Allison joins, each of the individuals had their own distinct personalities and I came to like each of them in their own way. I also loved Kanin, Allison’s vampire creator; he embodied exactly what I think of when I think of old classical vampires. But by far my favorite supporting character had to be Jackal! I don’t want to give anything away because he doesn’t appear until almost the end of the story, but I am eagerly awaiting Jackal’s appearance in the next book.

The one downside I found to The Immortal Rules was that there wasn’t enough of a love story for me. A relationship does develop between Allison and Zeke but I had a hard time rooting for them to be together and I felt like he was the only logical option for Allison that they were only together because it fit with the story not because they genuinely loved each other. I kind of wished Allison would have found a nice vampire boy for her to like. Well there is always the next novel!

Overall, The Immortal Rules was everything I was hoping for in a good Vampire novel. The idea of Vampire cities and the virus were both very interesting and well done. Needless to say, I can not wait to see what happens in the next book.