FallingForYA

Falling For YA

Before I Fall - Lauren Oliver I don’t read much YA contemporary but after hearing such stunning things about Before I Fall I Fall, and having absolutely loved Lauren Oliver’s Delirium I decided to pick this one up and overall it was a good story.

The novel centers on Samantha Kingston and her “mean girl” friends. The beginning really drew me in I enjoyed reading about Sam’s day and the events that lead up to her death. I found myself relating a lot to Sam because I was more like her back in High School then I care to admit. I was always ok with my friends treating others bad, so long as they included me and I fully admit to being an absolute bitch to those not in my social circle. There was actually one girl who I don’t even remember being rude to who told my younger sister what a bitch I had been to her. The worst part is I don’t even remember the girl, that just how I acted toward everyone. That is exactly how Sam Kingston and her friends are.

What I loved the most about this book is the transformation of Sam from “mean girl” to a strong independent individual who really grows up in the 7 days following her death. The character development in this book is so rich and heartbreaking that I almost couldn’t believe that this is Oliver’s debut novel!

I also really liked the layout of this book each chapter represented a day in Sam’s life following her death. Each day Sam tried to change what happened to her and her friends and the final chapter, I mean you knew what was going to happen but I didn’t stop me from wishing for a different ending.

Overall, this was a good read. I enjoyed it more then the other contemporary YA novels I have read but I still only liked it not loved it. I actually liked Delirium a lot more and will be giving contemporary YA a bit of a break for a while.