FallingForYA

Falling For YA

Wings of the Wicked - Courtney Allison Moulton I think Wings of the Wicked suffered from second book syndrome. I felt like so much more could have been done with this novel but Moulton instead has chosen to wait for the grand finale in the next book. Don’t get me wrong I enjoyed the story but when I look back on it I realized nothing new happened and that really disappointed me, especially because I loved Angelfire so much!

Wings of the Wicked begins where Angelfire ended. Ellie knows that she is the Archangel Gabriel but still has very few memories of her past lives, Ellie and Will are fighting against loving each other, and both of them are still fighting reapers.

One of the things I really liked about Angelfire was Ellie’s feisty personality. She was so real and down to Earth, but in Wings of the Wicked I found myself getting annoyed with Ellie. She was constantly dragging Will to high school parties even though he doesn’t like them and putting herself and her friends in immense danger just so that she could have a good time. It felt like she was not taking her job as the Preliator seriously. Ellie kept mentioning that she needed a night off but it felt like every night was a night off.

In Angelfire I also enjoyed the relationship and banter Ellie and Will shared. It felt natural like they had known each other for a long time, because they have. In Wings of the Wicked though they didn’t feel as close. I felt like some of their conversations were forced and used just to get to the “Steamy Scenes”. The relationship just didn’t feel natural, and I found myself wishing Ellie would give Cadan a chance so that I could get a change of pace. All the back and forth between Ellie and Will was giving me whiplash.

Speaking of Cadan, he was a happy additional to this novel. I found myself looking forward to the scenes he was in. His snarky attitude was a welcome added voice. I wish we had gotten more of his back story though and had a chance to get to know him better. I would have liked to know why he chose to help Ellie, and go against his own nature. I have a feeling Moulton will have more about him in the third novel though!

I also kept getting the feeling that Moulton was preventing action from happening, and holding things back for the third novel. There were whole stretches of time that Ellie did not hunt or really do anything. I missed the action and fight sequences which Moulton excels at writing. I think there were probably only two or three good fight scenes in the entire novel. And even when Ellie finally came into contact with Bastian the fight was a bit lackluster.

Overall, Wings of the Wicked was a pretty good read. I enjoyed the novel but there were a few too many problems with it that prevented me from completely loving it. I will definitely be picking up the third book and I hope that by then Ellie will have grown up a little bit and that Moulton will be ready for some series Enshi butt kicking action! I’m ready to see Ellie get down to business and be the right hand of God she is!