FallingForYA

Falling For YA

Anew - Chelsea Fine Anew starts off with a bang, a young girl wakes up in a Forest with no memories. The only thing Scarlet can remember is her name and that she is 15 years old. She lives her life in complete amnesia until she sees two boys on the night of the Kissing Festival and suddenly she feels like she might have a memory.

Overall, this was an okay book. The writing is well done, the story flowed, but the characters to me were just ho-hum and I had a hard time relating to any of them.
Scarlet is an alright main character, she is very headstrong and despite having no memory is independent. But Scarlet makes many stupid decisions that I just can not agree with or see anyone else making. It distracted from the story and I found myself wishing she would just sit down and figure things out rather then go charging headfirst into bad situations. (Really, there is someone trying to kill you and you don’t want to just stay in the safest place?)

Both the Love Interests in Anew were also ho-hum. Gabriel is supposed to be the good brother who has loved Scarlet throughout time and Tristan is the bad boy who is breaking her heart. Unfortunately, I didn’t like either of these characters and found myself wishing she would pick one and just be done with it so the story could move on. There were times when it was painfully clear that Chelsea Fine was just dragging this love triangle out. For example after Gabriel and Scarlet had been going out for a while, Gabriel has to leave suddenly to go get a friend of theirs and leaves Tristan and Scarlet alone. This should have been a great time for some movement of this love triangle stalemate. But once again nothing happened and I felt disappointed.

All in all this is a great idea for a book and I am really intrigued by the story tying in the fountain of youth, not many YA books use this myth. There is a lot of potential for the sequel and I hope that Chelsea Fine capitalizes on this! I recommend this book for anyone needing a light in between read, or fans of Alyson Noel’s Immortals Series.