FallingForYA

Falling For YA

The Weeping - O'Dell Hutchison The Weeping is centered around Heath a recent High School graduate who has just suffered a terrible tragedy. The car he was driving after Prom lost control and all of his best friends were killed but he was spared. Following the accident Heath became withdrawn and introverted his parents feeling like there was nothing else to do send him to the Oregon coast to live with his Uncle over the summer. The Uncle happens to own a theater Haunted by the ghost of a girl killed in devastating fire. Hutchison's novel follows Heath as he discovers what happened to the girl killed in the fire, how is father and the town is connected to all of this, and what part he plays in the big picture.

Usually I am not a big fan of male narration but Heath was really relateable and I could really feel the anger and emotional turmoil he felt over losing his friends and later the guilt that Heath feels when he is trying to move on. I came to really like Heath as a person and it was really fun to read what he thought as each twist and turn in the book occurred. (I really want to give spoilers but I don't want to ruin it for you!)

One of my other favorite things about this book is that it was set in Oregon. I grew up in the Pacific Northwest and being stuck out in South Dakota I get really homesick. Hutchison does a wonderful job of bringing the scenery to you and showing not telling what the weather is doing. The descriptions of the rain and Pacific Ocean made me a little less homesick.

The best thing about The Weeping is that it is a true ghost story that leaves you guessing until the last page. It also had just the right amount of scary (I get frightened really easily and it wasn't too bad for me). The supporting characters were great all of them unique in their own ways and all of them helped to further the story.

Overall it was a very good book and an excellent ghost story. It definitely merits a read and is already on my list of best books of 2012 so far.