FallingForYA

Falling For YA

Beastly - Alex Flinn This book is a modern day re-telling of the classic Beauty & The Beast story. This particular version is also now a major motion picture. I picked it up after finishing Mockingjay by Suzanne Collins, because I felt like I need a book chaser that would leave me feeling all warm and fuzzy and Beastly did not disappointe.

Beastly tells the story of Kyle Kingsbury a rich news anchors son with a bad attitude. After ditching a girl, who turns out to be a witch, at a dance he is turned in to a beast. The reader gets to see how being turned in to a monster allows Kyle to discover just how human he is. How his past actions affected those around him and how superficial his life was.

I was surprised by home much I actually enjoyed this book. I honestly read it just to get thoughts of Mockingjay out of my head, wanting something quick, painless, and forgettable. Mid-way through though I found myself loving the character growth and the love that develops between Lindy & Adrian. In many young adult novels ,especially those released recently, the love the two characters have seems to be forced. They are brought together by some event and are madly attracted to each other, there is a love triangle, and eventually the female lead picks the guy she was destined for. Beastly is a much needed break from this too played out scenario.

If you are looking for a light, enjoyable read that you will still take something away from I would defiantly recommend Beastly. Plus, who doesn't enjoy reading a fairy tale?